The International Cultural Centre in Krakow is a national institution of culture specialising in the issues of culture and heritage of Central Europe.
The logo of the ICC was created at the end of 1992 and the beginning of 1993 following an appointment by a closed competition entered by five renown graphic designers from Krakow who had already been working with the new institution. The author of the winning design was Monika Pietsch, a graduate from Krakow’s Academy of Fine Arts. The jury chaired by Prof. Piotr Krakowski selected Pietsch’s entry praising its formal qualities, simplicity, clarity of shape and composition as well as semantic charge.
The Ravens House
The International Cultural Centre is based in the Ravens House (“Pod Kruki”) at 25 Main Market Square (Rynek Główny 25), a witness of all the major events that have taken place right in the centre of Krakow over the ages. The windows which look into the Main Market Square and onto the Cloth Hall, representative of Renaissance architecture, and the Gothic-style Town Hall Tower, also made it possible to view the Prussian Homage (1525), the Kosciuszko Insurrection (1794), Józef Piłsudski’s funeral procession (1935), enthronements, homages paid to kings, carnivals, parades, popular assemblies, state ceremonies, but also riots, demonstrations and revolutions (1846, the 1848 Springtime of the Peoples, or the martial law of 1981).
Reports on the activities of the International Cultural Centre in Krakow