The Railroad Legacy of the Third Reich, or How the "Ostbahn" Modernised the Krakow Junction

2022-05-14, 11:00 a.m.
Red graphics with the inscriptions
A-
A+

The consolidation of the German rule in the conquered territories of Poland entailed investment in railroad infrastructure. On the one hand, the occupier was adapting the network of the former Polish State Railways to new needs, and on the other, Germans wanted to show the superiority of their technical culture over the achievements of the Second Polish Republic.



At that time, the strategically located Krakow junction was included in the expansion, and work on its territory began as early as mid-1940. New sections of railroad lines were built at that time, and the stations of Kraków Główny, Kraków Towarowy, Kraków Płaszów, and Kraków Prokocim were modernised. New buildings and technical equipment were added to allow for increased rail traffic. The walk will present the German designs and the "wartime" railway constructions preserved to this day on the right bank of Krakow.

 

Guide: Dominik Lulewicz – a graduate of archaeology at the Jagiellonian University and a doctoral candidate at the Institute of History of the same university. Curator at the Museum of Krakow, custodian of the museum's archaeological collections. Social guardian of historical monuments, enthusiast, populariser, researcher of 19th- and 20th-century history of railroads in Krakow and the region. Curator of the museum exhibition devoted to the history of this means of transport ("Krakow's Iron Roads") and author of several research papers on this subject.

Duration: approximately 180 minutes.

Attendance free. Sign-ups apply: warsztaty@mck.krakow.pl 

Registrations is closed.

×
added to cart:

continue shopping go to cart